The XR InLearning Awards Winners
The Universidad de La Sabana
Virtual Reality for English Language learners
Best Education Project
EHS Exercises in Virtual Reality
Best Enterprise Project
Most Impactful Project
The XR InLearning Awards Finalist
The Universidad de La Sabana
Virtual Reality for English Language learners
Augmented Reality in the classroom
Pioneer the use of Augmented Reality to Drive Workforce Innovation and Opportunity
Medical training simulators
Th3rd Coast Digital Solutions
EHS Exercises in Virtual Reality
ARPiano Efficient, engaging and fun music learning
CoPilot Virtual Human Technology
The XR InLearning Awards
New this year, the XR InLearning Awards recognize outstanding work in XR and learning.
The awards are designed to celebrate enterprise and education leaders’ projects using virtual, augmented and mixed reality to improve learning in an innovative and outstanding way.
We also recognize XR industry leaders providing exceptional solutions and services to improve learning in the enterprise and education.
These are the first awards of their kind and we look forward to celebrating our winners during our Global Summit on
Monday, October 28th at Boston University.
Awards Advisory Board
General Manager, Education
Fernando Valenzuela Migoya
Jacob (Yaki) Dayan
Founder and CEO
Ulla Maaria Koivula
Founder and CEO
Mark J. W. Lee
Editor-in-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies
Director of Education
Chief Marketing Officer
CEO, Co-Founder at Education Modified, MIT Solver
Product Manager, Emerging Technology
Virtual Reality Designer
Leading Education Programs
Susan Fonseca Lanham
Global Impact Advisor
Rocky Hill School
Co-founder & CEO
C R A T E
Rosario B. Casas
Co-founder & CEO
Director of Innovation
Rocky Hill School
Rules and Regulations
Expand for Details
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY FOR THE XR InLearning Awards. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
The XR InLearning Award™ Competition is an initiative of XR InLearning. The goal of the Competition is to promote excellence in XR (Augmented Reality, Virtual Reality and Mixed Reality) on various platforms and categories. The Competition is intended to bring the best in the XR world to the public, and to provide recognition to contestants who develop projects, technology and solutions that demonstrate how to make learning a more interactive activity and making it more engaging, productive, and fun.
Nomination Period: October 4
Judging Period: October 5 – October 10
Awards Ceremony: October 28
How to Enter and Judging Criteria – XR InLearning Awards
Submit a nomination including a description of a project or product that adheres to the rules outlined here. Please complete all Award Nomination Form required fields.
If your submission adheres to the rules it will be judged by the jury in the period starting September 23, 2019.
Winners will be announced at XR InLearning Global Summit on October 28, 2019 on the main stage at the XR InLearning Awards ceremony.
281 Summer Street, 2nd Floor
Boston, MA 02210
- Eligibility The Competition is open only to:
(i) Adults (18+) or teams of adults from all over the world excluding China*.
If a minor wishes to participate, their entry must be made by their parent or legal guardian on behalf of the minor.
(ii) corporations or organizations from all over the world (an “Organization”) excluding China*.
Individuals entering an XR InLearning Nomination on behalf of a team or Organization must be duly authorized to submit on behalf of the team or Organization. An individual may join more than one team or Organization and an individual who is part of a team or Organization may also enter the Competition on an individual basis.
Each team or Organization shall appoint one individual (the “Representative”) to represent and act, including entering an XR InLearning Nomination, on behalf of said team or Organization. The Representative represents and warrants that (i) he/she is duly authorized to act on behalf of the team or Organization; and that (ii) each member of the team (or in the case of Organization, each participating member) has read the Official Rules and agrees to abide by these Official Rules. The Representative will ensure that each member of the team or Organization shall comply with the Official Rules.
* China contestants are excluded from the Competition due to regulatory laws in China which prohibit Sponsors from awarding cash prizes;
- The following individuals and entities are not eligible, regardless of whether they meet the criteria set forth above:
(i) the Sponsors, the Administrator and any advertising agency, contractor or other company involved with the design, production, promotion, execution, or distribution of the Competition;
(ii) any individual involved with the design, production, promotion, execution, or distribution of the Competition and each member of any such individual’s immediate family or household;
(iii) any parent company, subsidiary, or other affiliate of any company described above; and
(iv) all employees, representatives and agents of the entities described above (and their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, and other affiliates) and all members of any such employee, representative or agent’s immediate family or household.
2. For purposes hereof:
(i) the members of an individual’s immediate family include such individual’s spouse, children and step-children, parents and step-parents, and siblings and step-siblings; and
(ii) the members of an individual’s household include any other person that shares the same residence as such individual for at least three (3) months out of the year.
(iii) the terms “Contestant” and “Entrant” are used interchangeably herein to mean the person(s) or entity who submit a software application or hardware for purposes of this competition. “Submission” and “XR InLearning Nomination” are used interchangeably herein to refer to the software application submitted.
The Competition is subject to all applicable United States federal, state, provincial and local laws. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and to the Sponsor and the Administrator’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to the Competition. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
3. Competition Submission Period
XR InLearning Awards
- Contestants may enter a Submission until September 16, 2019 at 11:59 PM CET (the “Competition Submission Period”). Administrator’s computer is the official time keeping device for this Competition.
- Any Submission entered following the Competition Submission Period shall be disqualified.
Best-in-Show Awards only
1. All presenting companies, those exhibiting and sponsoring at XR inLearning Global Summit 2019, are automatically eligible to be nominated for this award.
4. How to Enter
XR inLearning Awards only
(i) Beginning at 8:00 AM CET on July 11, 2019 visit https://www.XR inLearning.com/awards and follow the nomination process.
- Submission Requirements
XR inLearning Awards only
- Application Requirements
(i) A submitted product or project may be based on any kind of technology, i.e., for the web, a personal computer, a mobile handheld device, smart glasses, and wearables, a projection system, or any software or hardware platform broadly available to the public.
(ii) Your Submission must include a working software Application or hardware or a prototype that complies with the Award criteria.
(iii) Applications may, but are not required to, combine the use of third party data or APIs, provided the inclusion and use of the third party data or API does not infringe upon the rights of any person or entity.
2. General Requirements
(i) A Contestant may submit more than one Submission. However, each Submission or any part thereof, must, at the sole discretion of the Sponsor and/or the Administrator, be substantially different from the Contestant’s other Submissions, or any part thereof. If a Contestant enters two or more Submissions that are substantially similar, the Sponsor and Administrator reserve the right to disqualify Submissions or require the Contestant to choose one Submission to enter into the Competition.
(ii) Submissions must not be a clear attempt to duplicate a prior Submission in this year or in prior years already submitted in this Competition.
(iii) The submission deadline is 09:00 AM CET on September 15, 2019. Once the Competition Submission Period has ended, the Contestant may not make any changes or alterations to any part of the Submission (including the associated Application) until after the judging and public voting periods are complete.
(iv) Posting of a Submission to the Competition Website does not constitute a final determination by the Sponsor and/or Administrator of the Contestant or the Submission’s eligibility.
(v) Submissions must be the original work of the Contestant, and must not infringe, misappropriate or otherwise violate any intellectual property rights, proprietary rights, gender rights, privacy rights, moral rights or any other rights of any person or entity.
(vi) It is an express condition of entry and eligibility that each Contestant warrants and represents that the Contestant’s Submission is solely owned by the Contestant, that the Submission is wholly original with the Contestant and that no other party has any rights or interest, whether known or unknown, in the Submission.
(vii) The Contestant further represents and warrants to the Sponsor and the Administrator that the Submission, and any use thereof by the Sponsor or the Administrator (or any of their respective partners, subsidiaries and affiliates), shall not:
- infringe upon any statutory or common law copyright, trademark or patent;
- be defamatory or libelous in any manner towards any person;
- constitute or result in any misappropriation or other violation of any person’s publicity rights or right of privacy; or
- infringe, misappropriate or otherwise violate any intellectual property rights, proprietary rights, privacy rights, moral rights or any other rights of any person or entity.
(viii) A Contestant may contract with a third party for technical assistance to create the Submission provided the Application is solely the Contestant’s work product and the result of the Contestant’s ideas and creativity and the Contestant owns all rights to it.
(ix) A Submission including, image, video, and textual materials, must be in English. If in a language other than English, the Submission must be accompanied by an English translation of that text.
(x) The Sponsors, the Administrator and the Judges can, at their sole discretion, at any time, remove the Submissions or any part thereof if the Submission:
- does not fully comply with these Official Rules;
- is indecent, obscene, defamatory, libelous, in bad taste, or
- demonstrates a lack of respect for public morals or conduct.
(xi) Additionally, Submissions will not be accepted if, at the sole discretion of the Sponsor, the Administrator and the Judges, they:
- are illegal under applicable law;
- depict hatred;
- defame or denigrate (or are derogatory towards) any person or group of persons or any race, ethnic group or culture;
- threaten a specific community in society, including any specific race, ethnic group or culture;
- are intended to or might incite violence;
- contain vulgar or obscene language or excessive violence;
- contain pornography, obscenity or sexual activity; or
- disparage the Sponsor.
(xii) All of the above are to be determined at the Sponsor’s and/or the Administrator’s sole discretion.
(xiii) If the Sponsors, the Administrator or the Judges, at their discretion, find any Submission to be unacceptable, then such Submission shall be deemed disqualified from the Competition.
(xiv) The Sponsors may at its sole discretion disqualify Submissions for which legal complaint, demand or assertion of rights, including but not limited to takedown requests made those under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act are received and remove any such Submission or component thereof from https://www.XR inLearning.com/.
6. Submission Rights for Entrants
XR inLearning Awards only
- Contestants will retain any applicable intellectual property rights in the Submission. By entering the Submission into this Competition, you grant to the Sponsors and the Administrator, and any individuals, entities, or third parties acting on behalf of, or with the authorization of, the Sponsors and/or the Administrator, a non-exclusive, non-revocable, royalty-free, worldwide license to reproduce, modify, distribute, display publicly, perform publicly, and otherwise use for promotional purposes your Submission during the Competition and after the conclusion of the Competition Submission Period. You expressly waive any legal right or claim stemming from any such uses. including but not limited to claims of copyright, trademark, or patent infringement.
- Once a Contestant enters a Submission and it is available for public voting, the Submission (including the associated Application) cannot be modified in any way.7. Winner Selection
XR inLearning Awards only
Finalist Submission will be judged by an expert panel of impartial judges (the “Judges”) selected by the Sponsors and the Administrator. Submissions may initially be screened by a qualified internal panel selected by the Sponsor at its sole discretion. Finalist Submissions will then be judged by an expert judging panel determined by the Sponsors. The Sponsors and the Administrator reserve the right to substitute or modify the judging panel at any time for any reason.
All Judges shall be and remain fair and impartial. Any Judge may recuse him or herself from judging a Submission if the Judge, the Sponsors or the Administrator considers that it is inappropriate, for any reason, for the Judge to evaluate a specific Submission or group of Submissions. A Submission will not be at a disadvantage if one or more judge recuses him or herself.
A Contestant’s likelihood of winning will depend primarily on the number and quality of all of the Submissions, as determined by the Judges using the criteria below. The dates for the judging panel are between September 23 – October 7.
- XR InLearning Award Winner in each Award category
XR InLearning Awards only
- Level of societal impact: How much has the project impacted society in its region?
- Level of innovation: How innovative, how inspiring is the project? Has a project like this been seen before?
- Project quality and implementation: How well has the project been implemented on different levels such as design, UX, UI, technical aspects? How far as the project been rolled out and implemented?
- Economic and industry potential: How much impact can the project generate in economic and industrial terms? (for XR Industry Awards only)
- Verification of Potential Winner ALL POTENTIAL COMPETITION WINNERS ARE SUBJECT TO VERIFICATION BY SPONSOR AND/OR ADMINISTRATOR WHOSE DECISIONS ARE FINAL AND BINDING IN ALL MATTERS RELATED TO THE COMPETITION. Potential winners must continue to comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules. The potential winners will be notified before October 28, 2019.
- In the event that a potential winner of a Competition prize is disqualified for any reason, Sponsor may award the applicable prize to an alternate winner who had the highest score remaining of the eligible entries. If a winner is considered to be a minor in his or her state of residence, at Sponsor’s sole option, the prize will either be awarded to the minor winner’s parent or legal guardian on behalf of the winner.
The XR InLearning Award™ is the prize awarded.
- No Prize substitutions will be made except for the right of the Sponsor to make a Prize substitution of equivalent or greater value in the event the Prize or any portion thereof is unavailable. Prizes must be accepted as awarded. No transfer or substitution of a Prize is permitted except at the Sponsor’s and Administrator’s sole discretion. No more than the stated number of Prizes will be awarded. If a team or organization is selected as a Prize winner, the associated Prize will be provided to said team or Organization’s Representative. It will be up to the winning team or Organization’s Representative to allocate the Prize amongst its team or Organization members, as they deem appropriate.
- Winners (and in the case of team or Organization, all participating members) are responsible for reporting and paying all applicable taxes in their jurisdiction of residence (federal, state/provincial/territorial and local). It is the sole responsibility of Prize winners to provide certain information to facilitate receipt of the award, including completing and submitting any tax forms when necessary and any applicable withholding and reporting requirements.
- In the event a winner/potential winner’s employer has a policy that prohibits the awarding of a Prize to an employee, the Prize will be forfeited and an alternate potential winner will be selected. Each Contestant hereby acknowledges and agrees that the relationship between the Contestant, the Sponsor and the Administrator, is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other special relationship, and that the Contestant’s decision to provide the Contestant’s Submission to Sponsor and Administrator for the purposes of this Competition does not place the Sponsor, the Administrator, and their respective agents in a position that is any different from the position held by the members of the general public with regard to elements of the Contestant’s Submission, except as specifically provided in these Official Rules.
- Entry Conditions and Release
1. By entering, each Contestant (including, in the case of team or Organization, all participating members) agree(s) to:
(i) comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsors, Administrator, and/or the Competition judges which are binding and final in all matters relating to this Competition;
(ii) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the directors, officers, members, agents, and contractors of Sponsors, Administrator, and their respective parent, subsidiary, and affiliated companies, the Prize suppliers and any other organizations responsible for sponsoring, fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting the Competition, and all of their respective past and present officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives (the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability, including but not limited to negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright, patent or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to a Contestant’s entry, creation of an entry or submission of an entry, participation in the Competition, acceptance or use or misuse of the Prize (including any travel or activity related thereto) and/or the broadcast, transmission, performance, exploitation or use of entry; and
(iii) indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Sponsors and Administrator and the Released Parties from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys fees) arising out of or relating to a Contestant’s participation in the Competition and/or a Contestant’s acceptance, use or misuse of Prize.
Except where prohibited, participation in the Competition constitutes a winner’s consent to Sponsor’s, Administrator’s and their agents’ use of the winner’s name, likeness, photograph, voice, opinions, comments and/or hometown and state/province/territory of residence (and, as applicable, those of all other members of the team or participating members of the Organization which participated in the Submission) for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration, following the conclusion of the Competition.
- General ConditionsSponsors and Administrator reserve the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Competition, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failure or any other unanticipated factor or factor beyond Sponsor’s and Administrator’s control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Competition, as determined by Sponsor and Administrator at their sole discretion. The Sponsor and Administrator reserve the right at their sole discretion to disqualify any individual or Contestant it finds to be tampering with the entry process (for example by using the aid of computer software programs to auto-fill entries) or the operation of the Competition or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in a manner that is inappropriate, not in the best interests of this Competition, or a violation of any applicable law or regulation.
- Any attempt by any person to undermine the proper conduct of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor and the Administrator reserve the right to take proper legal action, including, without limiting, referral to law enforcement, for any illegal or unlawful activities.
2. The Sponsors and/or the Administrator’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. The Sponsors and the Administrator are not responsible for incomplete, late, misdirected, damaged, lost, illegible, or incomprehensible Submissions or for address or email address changes of the Contestants. Proof of sending or submitting will not be deemed to be proof of receipt by Sponsor or Administrator. The Sponsors and the Administrator are not responsible for, nor are they required to count any vote which, in their sole judgment, is incomplete, late, misdirected, damaged, unlawful or illicit, including those secured through payment, votes achieved through automated means or by registering more than one e-mail account and name, using another Contestant’s e-mail account and name, as well as those lost for technical reasons, defective or otherwise in violation of these rules.
3. In the event of any discrepancy or inconsistency between the terms and conditions of the Official Rules and disclosures or other statements contained in any Competition materials, including but not limited to the Competition submission form, or point of sale, television, print or online advertising, the terms and conditions of the Official Rules shall prevail.
4. The Sponsors and the Administrator reserve the right, without liability, to amend the terms and conditions of the Official Rules at any time, including the rights or obligations that the Contestant, the Sponsor or the Administrator may have. The Sponsors and Administrator will post the terms and conditions of the amended Official Rules (“Corrective Notice”). As permitted by law, any amendment will become effective at the time the Sponsors and/or Administrator post the amended Official Rules.
5. All intellectual property related to this Competition, including but not limited to trademarks, trade-names, logos, designs, promotional materials, web pages, source codes, drawings, illustrations, slogans and representations are owned or used under license by the Sponsors and/or the Administrator. All rights are reserved. Unauthorized copying or use of any copyrighted material or intellectual property without the express written consent of its owners is strictly prohibited. Contestants may use the trademarks XR inLearning and XR inLearning Award™ in the course of accurately conveying to the public, or to any segment thereof, that the Submission was submitted to the Contest or that it was awarded an XR inLearning Award™ prize. Contestants may not, however, use these or any other of Sponsor’s trademarks in a manner that suggests any sponsorship, connection, affiliation, endorsement, or approval between Sponsors and Contestant or between Sponsors and the Submission.
- Limitations of LiabilityBy entering, all Contestants (including, in the case of a team or Organization, all participating members) agree to be bound by the Official Rules and hereby release the Sponsors, the Administrator and each of its and their employees, officers, directors, affiliates, related entities, partners, partnerships, principals, representatives, agents, licensees, sponsors, successors and assigns (together with the Sponsor and the Administrator, the “Released Parties”) from any liability in connection with the Prizes or from participation in the Competition.
- Without limiting the foregoing, the Released Parties are not responsible for:
(i) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by the Sponsor’s, the Administrator’s or a Contestant’s electronic or printing error or by any of the equipment (including the SummerStage API) or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition;
(ii) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines, internet connectivity or electronic transmission errors, or network hardware or software or failure of XR inLearning.com;
(iii) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Competition;
(iv) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Competition or the processing of Submissions; or
(v) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from the Contestant’s participation in the Competition or receipt or use or misuse of any Prize. If for any reason any Contestant’s Submission is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, the Contestant’s sole remedy is to request the opportunity to resubmit its Submission, which request will be determined at the sole discretion of the Sponsor and the Administrator if the Competition Submission Period is still open.
- DisputesEntrant agrees that
(i) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Competition, or any prizes awarded, other than those concerning the administration of the Competition or the determination of winners, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action;
(ii) any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Competition, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved exclusively by the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan or the appropriate Michigan State Court;
(iii) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Competition, but in no event attorneys’ fees; and
(iv) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of the entrant and Sponsor in connection with the Competition, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Massachusetts, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of Massachusetts or any other jurisdiction), which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Massachusetts.
- Competition Results
For Competition results attend XR InLearning for the XR InLearning Award Ceremony on October 28, 2019 in Boston, or go to the XR InLearning site on or about November 1, 2019 where results will be posted.
- Contact Us
If you have questions regarding the Competition email firstname.lastname@example.org.
NO PURCHASE OR PAYMENT NECESSARY. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. THIS CONTEST IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.